Thursday, June 18, 2009

Fukada

There are three great things about Fukada in Irvine... #1, fresh soba noodles (the chef owner makes them himself), #2 Unagi don (see for yourself later) and #3, it's next to the 24 Hour Fitness I go to. Ok... I admit it. Many times when I am at the gym, my real motivation is really "what's for dinner?" With Fukada just steps away from my gym, of course I come here all the time.

The dining room is rather small, with a large communal table in the center and about 8 seats in the bar area.We got here at 8:45 pm and there was still a wait. Typical Fukada. But at least it was only a 5-10 minute wait. I won't fall over - I will survive until my food comes...

Sansai Udon
They were out of soba noodles that evening so I opted for the hot udon noodles sansai style (spinach, green onion, enoki mushrooms, carrots, and other Japanese veggies). Last time I had the udon at Fukada, I thought the soy-based broth was too bland... but this time it was just right. Slurping up the udon noodles is great comfort food after a workout :)

Unagi Don
Disclaimer: I am not a fan of unagi. BUT the unagi at Fukada is really good. The eel is grilled to perfection, still tender in the inside but just a little crispy around the edges and glazed with a slightly sweet kabayaki sauce. Yummy! You get the choice between white rice or brown rice and since I just came from the gym... brown rice it is. At lunch, the unagi don comes with one piece of unagi; for dinner, two pieces.
- Combo of Udon + Unagi Don $14-

Fukada
8683 Irvine Center Dr
Irvine, CA 92618

No comments:

Post a Comment